When you are trying to get pregnant and it just isn’t happening it can be frustrating and put big pressures on you and your relationship.
Luckily there are many simple things you can do to improve reproductive health and boost your fertility.
1. Get Acupuncture - Research shows that acupuncture increases blood flow to the ovaries and uterus, improving nutrition to the developing follicles and maximising endometrial development. Improved blood flow is linked with higher quality eggs which can support themselves better in the early stages of cellular development and higher chances of a successful implantation in an optimal uterine environment.
2. Invest In Your Sleep - Most people don’t realise that the amount and quality of sleep affects many fertility related systems. By sleeping better we can positively influence reproductive hormones, sperm production, ovulation, stress levels, weight and libido. For optimal health benefits experts recommend 8-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep nightly.
3. Diet - When it comes to fertility a little bit of weight loss can go a long way. For those of us needing to slim down a little around the middle, losing as little a 5% of body weight can contribute to a more balanced metabolism, improvements to ovulation and in sperm count and quality. Eating a variety of fresh seasonal vegetables along with gently cooked proteins is a surefire way to both lose weight and to provide the essential building blocks to rebuild yourself cleanly from the inside out.
4. Exercise - Alongside diet, exercise helps us to lose and control weight, but the benefits of exercise go far beyond mere weight loss. Exercise can help to regulate insulin levels, control stress, reduce blood pressure, manage anxiety and improve sleep quality. If you are serious about boosting your fertility then schedule in 30 minutes of gentle exercise every day which brings you to a light sweat. Walking, yoga or Tai Chi are ideal low impact ways to exercise effectively without putting excessive pressure on your system.
5. Herbs and supplements - When you are choosing your supplements remember that quality is king. Good quality supplements have a higher bio-availability which means they are more readily absorbed by the body and in a form which your system can use most efficiently. Replacing traditional fertility staples such as folic acid with more natural and easily processed folate can have a big impact (we love the terranova prenatal). Traditional Chinese herbal formulas have also been linked with improvements in egg quality, endometrium quality, reduced miscarriage rates, hormonal regulation and many more fertility related systems.
Take your fertility in your hands and implement some simple measures today to change your life.
Follow the Natural Health & Wellness Clinic for more articles on fertility, assisted reproductive technology, IVF support and natural medicine.